Chiller and Cooling Tower Upgrades
at Little Rock VA
JLM's Upgrade to a New Chiller Plant System
With More Power Comes a Need for a New Chiller
Maintenance is key to the smooth processes of a building or organization. Maintenance includes a variety of taskings from cleaning an area to keeping things in order to making sure there is enough power to run a process.
The Little Rock VA, JLM Healthcare Center is in dire need of upgrading the current chiller plant to support the future needs of the facility. Our team was tasked to find a design solution for the upgrading of the main chiller plant with new additional chillers, cooling units, cooling towers, and electrical upgrades.
We measured and tested the current chiller plant's load - working very closely with the VA staff at the hospital to come up with a structurally sound and effective system that would meet ventilation, cooling, and power capacity needs of the facility.
Specific taskings included the following:
- Provide a new 1400-ton water cooled Chiller.
- Replace an existing 450 ton chiller with new 900 ton chiller
- Provide new cooling towers for support of the existing and new chiller requirements.
- Provide new piping for the chilled water supply, chilled water return and condenser water pumps with new correctly sized pumps.
- Replace the existing ventilation unit (V-4) in the chiller plant on the mezzanine area with a new cooling ventilation unit.
- Replace the existing ventilation unit (V-3) located on the boiler plant on the roof of the boiler plant office.
- Provide new 480V/1000 kVa liquid filled transformer with switchgear cabinet.
- Replace the existing ventilation unit (V-7) in the chiller plant on the mezzanine area with a new cooling ventilation unit.
A Safe and Sanitized Construction
Our team provided an ICRA assessment which the VA approved of in phasing the construction. ICRA stands for Infection Control Risk Assessment and is used to isolate different parts of a building to prevent contamination. This is especially crucial for Healthcare facilities.